Crème fraiche, salsa, guacamole
Raw bell pepper
Prepare the Pork Carnitas in the morning, come home and spend just 14 minutes to prepare the rest of the meal!
You can buy the sauerkraut in the refrigerated section of the grocery store. Sauerkraut contains beneficial microbes needed for gut health. Probiotic-rich foods like sauerkraut should be consumed daily!
Pork shoulder is a relatively fatty piece of meat. Even if you cut off the layers of fat on the outside, it will still shed much fat into the stock it is cooking in.
Consider making extra for leftovers! In addition to the pork, add more potatoes to the crockpot and steam extra kale to quickly fry up with tomorrow’s breakfast, like with eggs or sausage!
For AIP, just use salt, garlic powder, oregano and black pepper, if tolerated, for spices.
For GAPS and Blood Sugar Control Diet, substitute winter squash for the potatoes.
Crockpot Pork Carnitas Quick Meal
total active time: 14 minutes
total inactive time: all day
Crockpot Pork Carnitas
active time: 10 minutes
inactive time: 5-8 hours
- 2 lb. pork shoulder roast
- 1 t coriander powder
- ½ T Mexican chili powder or 1 t paprika
- 1 t ground cumin
- 2 t Primal Palate Organic Spices Adobo Seasoning OR ½ t dried oregano & 1 t garlic powder
- ½ t sea salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ½ cup water or meat stock/bone broth**
- 4 potatoes, white or sweet (one per person)
** bring to a simmer first if you are short on cooking time
- Cut off layers of fat off outside of meat, if desired.
- Cut pork shoulder roast into 2”-side-long pieces, about 6 pieces
- Mix all the spices and salt in a large bowl.
- Coat the pork pieces in the spice mix. (smells amazing, right?)
- Lay pieces and bay leaves in a crockpot.
- Pour in the water or stock/broth without washing off the spices from the pieces.
- Scrub and dry potatoes.
- Lay potatoes on top of pork pieces in the crockpot.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 5-6 hours.
The dish creates some very flavorful and healthful meat stock that you can pour over your meal. Alternatively, refrigerate, remove the layer of fat on top, reheat and eat alone or over your leftovers.
active time: 3 minutes
inactive time: 3-9 minutes
- 1 bunch organic kale
- Fill a large steamer pot with 1 inch water. Bring to a bowl.
- Fill a large bowl or clean sink with water. Submerge the greens.
- Remove the leaves from the stems with your hands.
- Strain the greens and wrap in a large towel or two to dry.
- Roughly chop the greens.
- When the water boils, turn down to low.
- Steam the greens, about 9 minutes, until wilted.
When the pork carnitas is very tender, pull apart into pieces with two forks or tongs. Serve over steamed kale with condiments and sliced bell pepper.